Old April 12th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default How to start your own small-town bicycle shop

aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Apr 12, 10:30 am, "Paul M. Hobson" wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...] Some shops will say that insurance requires that customers wear
helmets on test rides, but even that's likely not the case. We require
them because it's *our* policy.

Tom Sherman wrote:
Even though all the properly performed population studies indicate that
foam hats are ineffective for anything more than bump and scrape
protection? Do you require gloves on test rides.

No need to go down that road, Tom. I don't want to speak for Mike, but
it's probably just a CYA policy. Regardless of how and if they work,
requiring helmets on test rides probably would help an LBS out in the
most unfortunate case of a lawsuit related to a test ride injury.

That's exactly why I require them of all our house guests, before I
allow them to climb the porch steps. ;-)

What about gas masks?