Old August 26th 18, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly?

On 8/25/2018 10:19 AM, Ned Mantei wrote:
I have occasionally had a problem with my MTB in a Swiss train.
Depending on the train, there will typically be a space for bikes at the
end of the wagon. There you can hang the front wheel of your bike by a
hook, and the back wheel will be in a vertically mounted U-shaped,
fitting to keep it from swaying too much.
See https://www.radreise-wiki.de/Datei:S...lbstverlad.JPG
However, especially in older rail cars sometimes the hooks are too near
the ceiling and the wall, so that 2.25" tires won't fit. The train
operators (mainly the federal rail system) know about this problem, but
solving it involves more than just replacing the hooks.

We rode a train in Estonia and another on a trip in France with our
Bikes Friday. For those trips, we had large packs on the back of the
bikes. Hanging from those sorts of hooks was a little difficult because
of having to lift the bike higher than normal off the ground, but I
didn't complain. A Bike Friday is an unusual design. It requires compromise.
Newer trains sometimes will have a wagon with a different sort of bike
parking:
https://blog.veloplus.ch/2015/03/24/...velotransport/

That works well, and it's easier to park your bike.

Our Fridays (and their trailers) rode into Zurich in such a car. The car
was packed with bikes, and ours barely fit, but we made it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

---