Old August 26th 18, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly?

On 8/24/2018 7:35 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

When we arrived another rider put his 26" MTB on there on even that
barely fit in (rear wheel rode up half an inch).

Does anyone know a better "strap down" method that is faster than
wrapping a bungee around rim and rack numerous times?

Yeah, those racks were not designed for long wheelbase bikes with wide
tires.

Since the transit agency is unlikely to put in new racks, you'll need to
buy a new bike with a shorter wheelbase. But perhaps when they buy new
buses they can build a rack with a longer and wider wheel tray.

I've taken bikes on Caltrain and VTA light rail (and light rail from
Folsom to Sacramento) but never on a bus.