Old November 7th 11, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

Default OT - College Football

In article ,
Uncle Dave wrote:

On 07/11/2011 07:32, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:

snip

Thanks for that excellent reply. I guess the roots of the schedules are
hidden way back in time and it would make sense they are region based.
So is the Ivy League a football thing or just a name given to the rich
old colleges?

The Ivy League is alive and well. For me the games
are as good as any, even though they do not and
cannot compete with the strongest 100 or so college
football programs. Though the players are typically
not a match for the best college players, they are
used to being the best in other ways, and it shows
on the football field.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/standings

Do any particular leagues have an edge in the same way

The powerhouse conferences ebb and rise in relative power,
but not by much.

that the AFC didn't win the Superbowl for a long time?

The AFC won the third and fourth Superbowls.

Some notable college football rivalries are

Wisconsin-Minnesota, played every year since 1890,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Randall_Field.jpg

Harvard-Yale (The Game), played 127 times since 1875,

Lehigh-Lafayette (The Rivalry), played 146 times since 1884.
(Some years early on they played twice a season.
They did not play 1896.)

--
Michael Press