Old November 25th 10, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

Default Oxford cyclists too dim to take the break that was offered

On 25 Nov 2010 08:55:16 GMT, Tony Raven wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
In the Oxford crackdown on unlit cycles which netted 106 unlit bikes
in a
very short time, the police issued 30pound FPNs, but agreed to waive
that if
a receipt for bike lights was produced in 7 days. The receipt was
stamped
by the police. The cyclists have then been returning the lights and
asking
for refunds!! The police have asked that any shop that refunds for
the
lights get and pass on names and addresses of the serial lawbreakers
so that
a 60 pound fpn can be issued.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/...g_light_fines/

Mrcheerful

Order them on-line and return them under the 7 day rule. Bypasses the
local police and shops completely. I think Oxford students might be a
tad less dim than you.

Good job you're not dim.

Good point I will forward you letter to the police and suggest that
they hang on to the receipts for at least seven days and the cyclists
have to make a second journey to the police station after 7 days if
they want them back.

Thanks for grassing them up.

--

Latest figures from DfT: KSI per billion passenger kilometres:

Van: 5 people
Bus/Coach: 9 people
Car : 18 people
Pedestrians: 358 people

Oh : and of course cyclists:
Cyclists: 541 people

Of those four modes of transport - which is the most dangerous?

(With thanks to Justin Lewis for asking me to find out the figures)