Old April 12th 18, 10:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Ebikes

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 12 Apr 2018 23:44:25 +1000
FMurtz wrote:
I once posted this but got no real answer. Does anyone have an answer?
What are the latest laws in NSW regarding EBikes
Can you still have independent throttles with 200 watts, it seems you
can have 250 watts but only if you pedal, is this the case, is there an
up to date ADR or regulation governing this?

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...dal-cycles.pdf

alternatively look at legislation

latest I can find in nsw is 2014
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...28n2014410.pdf

"Note 1. Power-assisted pedal cycle is defined in the Vehicle Standard
(Australian Design Rule— Definitions and Vehicle Categories) 2005
determined under section 7 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 of
the Commonwealth. The definition of power-assisted pedal cycle includes
pedalecs within the meaning of that Standard (which may have one or
more auxiliary propulsion motors generating a combined power output not
exceeding 250 watts)."

so that means 250 if pedelec as far as I can see. Which is the same
as the guy at Sydney Electric Bikes told me, that is the throttle is
supposed to only give 200W but the pedal assist can be up to 250.

(And internal combustion engined bikes are now not bicycles...)

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2012C00326

PEDALEC - A vehicle meeting European Committee for Standardization
EN 15194:2009 or EN 15194:2009+A1:2011 Cycles - Electrically power
assisted cycles - EPAC Bicycles.

Go search for that....

http://www.zbox.com.au/legal.htm also dates to 2014 and says the same
- 200w for throttle, 250 for pedalec. With the caveat that a throttle
only bike still has to be a bike. So the pseudo-scooters you see
with the vestigal pedals are illegal.

Zebee