Old June 3rd 05, 04:56 PM
Richard

Default Lost in translation

Peter B wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message

Reading a report on the LCC list about another cyclist killed in the
City (hit from behind by a motorbike while stationary at the side of the
road) I realised that we need a dictionary to translate what they say
into what they mean (a bit like a dictionary of cockney)

For starters from that report we have:

"the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death" = He was killed by a motorbike*

"the cyclist was in collision with a car" = He was cycling quite correctly
when a car pulled out of a side road without slowing, hit him and launched
him into oblivion.

"The accident was caused by a wet road" = Someone either didn't notice it
was raining or hadn't the mental capacity to deduce that adhesion was
reduced as a consequence.

"You should've been wearing a helmet" = Because then the dopey goit
wouldn't have hit you.

R.