Old October 13th 03, 12:49 AM
Garry Jones

Default Reports from Sweden

Thanks for the feedback Dorre.

I need some more info to meet claims being made in swnet.sport.cykel

Some of the helmet links I have quoted were reruns from old postings and
turned out to be dead links.

I am missing the information that used to be behind these links

http://members.iinet.net.au/~propert...e_helmets.html

Helmet FAQ
http://www.globalx.net/ocbc/hfaq.html

Can you post an updated useful link list with helmet stats. Include the
new links to the above two sites if they are still up.

I have been challenged on several points in particular

1)
"In New Zealand, helmet legislation has led to a 19% reduction in head
injuries among bicyclist of all age groups in its first 3 years."
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/elett...97/1505/a#9629

2)
"Nine years on, however, cycling is more popular in Victoria than it was
before 1990."
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/elett...97/1505/a#3416

3)
Stats from Victoria are said to show that the ammount of hours cycled
increased constantly between 1988 and 1992. The number of adults cycling
is said to be the same two years after the law. It is claimed that the
reduction in cycling is mainly in youths and that this is due to a drop
in age requirement for driving licenses.

My own question here is that I wonder if there is any connection in
injuries to cyclists and age requirement for driving licences. Are
younger drivers more likely to hit cyclists?

Any feedback or clarification on points 1-3?

Anyone else with any input? Links? Thanks

Garry Jones
English Cyclist ResIDING in Sweden.