Old April 17th 15, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default TMS 320 finally admits that cyclists are sponging freeloader!

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:33:15 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 17/04/2015 00:28, TMS320 wrote:

Now answer the question I asked; Do cyclists pay any SPECIFIC EXTRA
taxes to use their push bikes on the road?

That's a different question to the last one. Yes, I can confirm that
the government does not demand specific taxes from people that choose
to use a bicycle. There is no need for jealousy - just get a bike and
ride it.

Nobody is jealous of cyclists. Read the research;

Years of government efforts to promote cycling have had almost no impact
on a sceptical population who largely view bikes as either children's
toys or the preserve of Lycra-clad hobbyists, a university study has
found.

"Many people barely recognise the bicycle as a legitimate mode of
transport; it is either a toy for children or a vehicle fit only for the
poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster University, wrote in an
interim assessment of the Understanding Walking and Cycling study.

"For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail to see its purpose,
and have no interest in integrating it into their lives, certainly on a
regular basis."

How glad I am to be not "many people"
I find the bicycle is a very enjoyable convenient economical viable means
of transport for many things.