Old May 16th 21, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Flat again today but prepared.

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:05:18 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/16/2021 4:02 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 12:40:16 p.m. UTC-4, Mark cleary wrote:
So today at mile 50 heading back into town I hit a huge deep pothole. A car was passing so I really had to hold my line and not avoid it. Sure enough in a hurry a pinch flat.

My first confession is I still had one CO2 canister so I loaded it and frankly I must be an idiot. I manage to get some of it in the tire but it seems to leak out somewhere around the fitting/stem as I hold the chuck. No problem got my new Leyzene Road drive out and got it up nicely in a hurry. Frankly it would be just about as fast with just using the pump.

So I then go on and finish the ride 6 more miles for 56 today. I check the rear tire at home with floor pump that has gauge and the PSI was 84. No issues that works fine. I then topped it off to around 100.

I am I the only idiot who has no CO2 skills and even it I did would find it not dependable to ever really rely on.
Deacon mark

I pumped up a fellow's bicycle one time because he had a threaded CO2 cartridge but his inflator used smooth ones.

Whenever I get something new like the first time I got a CO2 inflator, I used it at home to get a feel for how it worked.

I like a decent pump a lot better. My favourite pumps are the Zefal HP or Zefal HPX.

Cheers

Well, yes.
You should see the mangled pumps people bring in from fatal
first use.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

For many years back in the 1980s, I had a Zefal HP pump given to me because it fell off the guy's bike and was run over by a car. I got a length of hardwood dowel the same diameter as the inside of the pump, chamfered the end of the dowel a bit and then drove it into the barrel of the pump. That got rid of the crushed area and the pump worked fine for many years afterwards. There aren't too many bicycle pumps you could do that with.

The guys at the bicycle shop were astounded that the pump was repairable.

Cheers