Old May 18th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Flat again today but prepared.

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 11:14:14 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/17/2021 9:47 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 7:58:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:02:03 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I like a decent pump a lot better. My favourite pumps are the Zefal HP or Zefal HPX.
I agree. And I had some luck with my HPX the other day. I hadn't used it for a long time, so
grabbed it instead of my floor pump to inflate my tires.

Well! I couldn't get it to switch from "X" mode (for clipping into my bike frame) to "HP" mode
(for actually inflating the tire). It took several shots of lubricant into the fancy 2-way handle,
plus a lot of working things back and forth. And the steel pump shaft was a bit rusty too.
I cleaned and lubricated that plus the leather washer.

I was glad I learned this at home instead of on the road. Moral of the story: Maintain your pump.

- Frank Krygowski

Silca is coming back to life and perhaps they will use their own pump technology to build full sized frame pumps if enough people write them about it.

Those don't work very well on anything other than older tube frame bikes. And even then I have shaken them off. The older pumps that fit on a peg were a great deal less likely to come off and go into the spokes.