Old June 21st 04, 09:35 PM
Simon Brooke

Default Recumbents

in message , Peter Clinch
') wrote:

Doki wrote:
Does anyone make a FWD / rear steer recumbent?

FWD, certainly. Zox and Flevo are the obvious examples, plus the Very
Serious Speed machinery used at the likes of Battle Mountain is
sometimes FWD (well, it's not like they have to go round hairpin
bends...).

Rear steer is a different matter. I think it was in C+ that someone
asked this and Mike Burrows answered it. IIRC he basically said that
what's fine in theory doesn't work quite so well in practice and rear
steer bikes tend to be patronised by people called Koko with large red
noses...

The Flevo is an interesting exception to the usual rules: it doesn't
steer at either wheel but has a hinge in the middle of the bike, and
can be ridden completely no hands as far as steering goes (though bars
are provided to mount brake and gear levers)

Can you post a URL: All I find on the Flevobike site
URL:http://www.flevobike.nl/indexmodellen.html is a very nicely
finished and interesting looking velomobile (come to think of it, it's
reviewed in the latest VeloVision). I can't find any reference to your
hinged in the middle bicycle (but being unable to read Dutch is a
drawback here).

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space