Old August 14th 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 8/14/2017 5:54 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 6:51:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some people here complain about frequent close passes. It happens to me
only rarely - I'd say roughly once per 100 miles of riding, which would
be once in at least 1000 cars. And almost none of those include any horn
blaring or yelling.

But then, I tend to ride more toward lane center than many cyclists.

Yesterday was Sunday and without job pressure they drive a lot more relaxed. But I still got a couple of close passes in 50 miles. But I was flabbergasted at the complete disregard for stop-before-free-right-turn. Even directly in front of the auxiliary police station with a cop right outside they didn't so much as slow up. And at the main police station perhaps three cars drove right through red lights.

In my area a vehicle can make a right on red without stopping directly
in view of a police officer and nothing will happen. I want to scream
"give him a ticket."

Many years ago, walking my kids to school, a vehicle failed to stop for
us in the crosswalk and I yelled at the driver. And there WAS a cop
there, and he DID pull them over. Later, walking home, the cop was still
there but the driver had left. He told me that he let the driver go
without a ticket because I yelled at them.

---