Old August 17th 17, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:59:30 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 23:43:39 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I could fit four gallons of milk into the panniers, and a gallon
weighs sixteen pounds, so in theory the bike could weigh more than a
hundred pounds.

Oops! I *thought* something didn't feel right. A gallon weighs
*eight* pounds, so I doubt that the bike has ever weighed more than
seventy pounds.

Seventy pounds is still a lot to lift over a railroad track. I
usually lift one end at a time, if I need to cross tracks after
shopping.

But milk is heavier then water :-)
Whole milk weighs in the neighborhood of 8.6 lbs/gal. Depending, of
course, on the solids content.

--
Cheers,

John B.