Old July 15th 12, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Cyclists Fatalities.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:59:29 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:22:53 -0700 (PDT), al Mossah wrote:
On Jul 15, 5:13*pm, Judith wrote:
Did you know that Holland has the highest percentage of cycling
fatalities (as a percentage of all transport fatalities) in
Europe.

It is called "safety in numbers".

More people cycling will almost certainly mean more fatalities.

No, I disagree. I think you mean will almost certainly mean more
cyclist fatalities - that would be true.

regards, Ian SMith

Oh dear.

So the number of people cycling goes up; the number of cyclist fatalities goes
up - but the total number of fatalities does not go up.

So as more people cycle, the number of non cyclist fatalities goes down.

Eeeerm - I wonder why that is?

This must mean that those people who were nice and safe in cars - who have now
switched to cycles are now not as safe as they were.

Yep - I agree - many thanks.