Old July 3rd 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Cycling deaths in Toronto traced back to city infrastructure

On 2015-07-03 6:42 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Whilst the article is interesting the Comments section below it is
even more interesting largely because of the many anti-bicycles on
the road comments. A lot of those comments complain about what we hew
call 'Scofflaw bicyclists' who ride willy nilly.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...141935846.html

Then there are car drivers who are hell-bent on "clearing the road of
cyclists" like it just happened around he

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e26112064.html

The picture illustrates why I agree with the notion in the Canadian
article that more bike infrastructure is needed. It's a miracle that
this cyclist survived. The first cyclist was just side-swiped but the
two others were hit full brunt from behind at high speed. IIRC one was
catapulted across the road to the left and the other one crashed into
the windshield.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

My experiences with bicycle lanes in Ontaro Canada is that they are crap ad are more dan
gerous than no bicycle lane. I'm trying to get across town in a reasonable amou
nt of time an
d i don't need to have the aggravation of trying to move from the far right bike lane over to make a left turn. If I'm riding in a traffic lane i find is far far easier to make that left turn. As far as i'm con
cerned fully segregated bicycle only lanes are an abomination and one had better have highly puncture resistant tires because those segregated lanes aren't cleared very often - heck even the right hand painted strip bicycle lanes are full of debris and you risk your tires every single time you ride in one of those bicycle lanes. Agawin making a left turn is very hard and dan
gerous to do in a right hand bicycle lane. What's one supposed to do - rided through the intersection, stop nd then reposition oneself in the direction one wishes to travel?

About the only thing good about many bicycle lanes is that they get the really slow bicyclists out of thetraffic lane and that allows a smoother flow of other traffic including fast bicyclists.

A lot of bicycle lanes simply reduce bicyclists to second class citizens.

Cheers