Old July 31st 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27 Jul
2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more than
two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I don't go
into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with a rack so I
can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle bosses
and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding trails in
the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or some other
option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the upper
end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in
Portland :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

That's NUTS! They're teling you that you have to drink an 8 ounces cup
(250 ml) of liquid every FIFTEEN minutes! That's if you use the
smaller 16 0unces capacity NOT the 24 ounces sizes. 2 x 16 = 32 ounces
divided by 8 = 4 and 1 hour devided by 4 is 15 minutes. If you use two
24 ounces bottles you have 48 ounces divided by 4 = 12 ounces evey
fifteen minutes which is 1.5 cups per quarter hour.

Gads at that rate for a 4 hour + ride you'd dang near need a trailer
just for your liquids!

Cheers

They must mean 1- 16 - 24oz bottle of water OR energy drink per hour. I
did a bit over 100k yesterday and had to fill my 2 24oz water bottles at
the midway point. Average speed was about 29k/h and it was a bit muggy
but not excessively hot. Not much wind and probably 500m of ascent so
not a particularly tough ride. 4 bottles was plenty. I can't imagine
drinking twice that much liquid. Maybe if I was climbing in the Alps or
something.

Aside form the hilliness it depends on what "not excessively hot" means.
For folks in Arizona that can mean anything under 105F. In Alaska they
consider a 30F days a scorcher.

Where I live we can have weeks of 100F+ weather, like right now. Most
people simply stop riding during that time just like they do when it's
below freezing. I don't. The amount of sweat is so enormous that I need
two head bands of the extra-wide kind. They get swapped out every
10-20mi, with the wet one being wrung out and then hung onto a strap of
a pannier. Meaning nobody would draft me unless they carried a nose
clamp :-)

Coming from New Orleans, I rarely find it excessively hot in
Quebec/Ontario.

But I think it has more to do with the amount of energy you expend than
with the temperature. I can use more water on a cold day riding flat
out than on a hot day taking it easy.

Anyway I don't ride like you do or where you do so I am not telling you
what to do. If you think you need to carry 55 gallon drums of water, go
for it.