Old July 31st 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27
Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten
miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more
than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I
don't go into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with
a rack so I can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle
bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding
trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or
some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on
a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the
bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the
upper end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in
Portland :-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

That's NUTS! They're teling you that you have to drink an 8 ounces
cup (250 ml) of liquid every FIFTEEN minutes! That's if you use the
smaller 16 0unces capacity NOT the 24 ounces sizes. 2 x 16 = 32
ounces divided by 8 = 4 and 1 hour devided by 4 is 15 minutes. If you
use two 24 ounces bottles you have 48 ounces divided by 4 = 12 ounces
evey fifteen minutes which is 1.5 cups per quarter hour.

Gads at that rate for a 4 hour + ride you'd dang near need a trailer
just for your liquids!

Over 4-5h of hard MTB riding on a 95-100F day I find that 1-1/2 gallons
of liquids is adequate. But not less than that. I could have used more
but that's all I had on the bike.

I have met plenty of people on trails who thought like you, that this
was ridiculous and all that. They did not look too well healthwise and
sometimes I gave them one of my bottles. In one case almost all my water
because the guy appeared close to heading towards the eternal trails.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Someone on the verge of heat exhaustion or heat stroke is NOT going to be able to exercise after drinking just one 16 ounces bottle of water or energy drink. To give such a person water or energy drink and then leave them is irresponsible.

Cheers