Old August 3rd 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-08-01 16:46, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Beer is passe. There's a brewpub or brewery on every
Portland street corner. http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries
You can get good Oregon brewed bottled IPAs at Costco.

That is a major line-up. We don't have quite that selection
but it's adequate. However, since I started brewing my own it
only matters during rides. On some MTB rides far off
civilization I take a home brew along. Surpringly it stays very
cool in a stainless double-wall thermos and the constant
shaking doesn't seem to harm it much.

Now it's about cannabis -- and maybe hard cider . . . or
mead. Hell, I don't know. No, no . . . its artisanal booze:
http://www.distilleryrowpdx.com/

Try their Hopka:

http://www.indiospirits.com/

Good stuff, just don't ride after too many of those. There are
also in Portland. Where else?

Hops liqueur? Blecchhhh. I'm not an atisanal liquor fan.

Marcos is kind of a dump (but about the only place you could buy
espresso drinks 30-40 years ago in PDX). I was posting the
picture of the dumpy market down the street with the massive beer
collection. They have a zillion bottles and some really arcane
stuff. Even the store that is about a third of a mile from my
house has a good beer selection. There is a growler fill place
across the street from that. You have to like to home brew as a
hobby because it is super-easy to just walk down the street and
buy a good beer. I have too many other chores to spend time home
brewing, but maybe I'll try it when I retire.

Well, here in the People's Republic of California we have myriad
nonsensical rules such as no growler sales at any place that
doesn't brew right then and there. Then myriad taxes and "fees"
(a.k.a. taxes) which makes a growler fill cost $15-$20 instead of
you $10 and the whole picture turns pretty bleak. A growler with
Belgian Tripel costs north of $20 and I can make five gallons
(which equals 10 growlers) for under $60.

Money or distance isn't the reason for me. For example, yesterday I
rode up to Placerville on singletrack and had a beer at a brewery,
could have brought back a growler. However, a growler with two
people mweans you'll be drinking the same beer all night. Also, I
like to experimnent a bit with the recipes so we have some beers
now that you cannot buy anywhere.

Brewing your own means you'll have five gallons of the same beer,
good or bad.

That's actually a good thing. You now have 52-55 12oz bottles of the
good stuff that tastes like fresh from tap even after sitting there
for a month or more. So far I didn't have a batch gone bad.

We usually have 6-8 kinds of beer available at all times. Once you get
started with brewing a mix develops that suits the family's taste.
Homebrew usually has a longer shelf-life that store-bought. We try new
beers all the time. Some become favorites, some don't but are ok. Then
there is "his and hers", she likes American Wheat brewed with some
clover honey while my favorite is Belgian Tripel.

... Don't forget to factor-in the cost of bottles, your time
and other capital costs.

Our bottles are all saved commercial ones. Can't factor in time, at
least not in terms of what I could otherwise make as an engineer. It
is a hobby. A good brew requires 4-6h total but that contains other
activities. In winter I brew in the man cave downstairs and while
watching the kettle out of the corner of an eye I either learn some
Spanish from TV or use the pool table. In summer I brew outside and do
yard maintenance in parallel. On hot days I wear my swim trunks and
hop into the swimming pool once in a while.

To show you how mundane the beer craze is, here's the growler fill
selection at my local supermarket (as opposed to market). It's
walking distance, too, but a longer walk.
http://growlers.fredmeyermedia.com/st/burlingame Fred Meyer is
roughly the equivalent of a big Safeway or Lucky store. It's owned by
Kroeger (Smith's in Utah).

Ooooh, Honey Koelsch! I've got to try brewing one of those. We always
have homemade Koelsch available, it is one of the staples here.

It's good that they offer 32oz fills, that's only two pints and you
can pick another for later. Anyhow, in California the goons would soon
swoop in and shut the whole place down.

BTW, Hop Venom is very good if you're into double-IPAs.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23066/72750/

I love that stuff and 80 IBU would be right up my alley. My wife won't
drink it though.

Buying beer your wife won't drink sounds like a plan.

Doesn't work. Then she starts sipping at _my_ Belgian Tripel :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/