Old August 20th 17, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-18 19:17, sms wrote:

[...]

The People's Republic of Berkeley did something really smart, they base
parcel taxes on square feet, not parcels. So a 100 unit apartment
building doesn't get away with paying one parcel tax while a 100 unit
condo complex pays 100 parcel taxes. That change to the the tax system
passed 88% to 12%.

So how much did that increase the affordability of apartments?

It neither increased nor decreased the affordability, since rental costs
are based on what the market will bear, not the costs to the property owner.

Others go a step further, packing it up and moving the business out of
state.

Perhaps, but more businesses and people continue to come to California
that leave.

Or they lose out against out of state businesses in the
marketplace. This also evidences itself in where my clients are. A
decade ago most were in California. Now most are in the Houston area.

I don't think that you really want to live in Houston no matter how
cheap the housing is.

---