Old February 7th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Eric Vey

Default Danger in the Bike Lane

Bill Z. wrote:
Eric Vey writes:

Bill Z. wrote:
Eric Vey writes:

Bill Z. wrote:
Eric Vey writes:

Bill Z. wrote:
vey writes:

Bill Z. wrote:

Assuming Washington has the same or similar laws to those in California,
That is not a safe assumption to make. CA has many laws that are not
found in the rest of the US.
Actually, it is a safe assumption - ever hear of the Uniform Vehicle
Code? There are cogent reasons for making traffic laws similar in
all states. California is no exception.
Ever hear of the Uniform Code of Commerce? Try relying on that in
Louisiana and see what happens.
Invalid argument - you said it was not a safe assumption to make. In
fact, traffic laws are pretty similar across the U.S. Otherwise people
wouldn't be able to fly somewhere, rent a car, and have a reasonable
chance of driving around without getting tickets.

Similar does not mean the same. The rules concerning vehicles crossing
bike lanes are different in Oregon, for example. Do you know which way
*all* the states have gone on this important question?
Interesting that you claim the rules are "different" but won't state
what you think the difference is. :-) It's common sense, though -
you don't let people make right turns without being in or to the
right of the rightmost through lane. Otherwise the inevitable would
happen.
That, after all, is what we were talking about.

"Uniform" codes are just recommendations, not requirements which makes
their writing uniform, hence the name, but not their adoption.
And most of what are in them has been adopted by most states.

In Oregon, from what I have previously read, motorists are *not
allowed* to enter or use the bike lane for anything and that includes
right turns. You read that correctly, exactly 180 degrees from
California and my state Florida laws.

You moved it from Washington to Oregon? :-)

But of course, there is a simple solution to the problem in Oregon -
sue the state for the accident, claiming that they put in a dangerous
facility given state law. If you can win the suit, they'll change
the law really quickly - that's a lot cheaper than removing the
bike lanes.

I have not been able to find anything definitive about Washington
State law in this regard. I found a web page that says the law is
roughly the same as California, but it referred me to code number that
doesn't exist.

While I agree with your opinion, you should realize that and caution
should always be the rule when commenting on how things are in your
state and you should not project your knowledge of your state laws on
people that live in other states.

There is a good reason that lawyers talking to someone in another
state will always say, "Check the laws in your state" or "I'm not sure
what the laws are in your state, but generally . . . ,but don't rely
on that, because the laws in your state may be different. "

I've yet to see anyone traveling to a different state prepare for their
trip by getting that state's DMV's driver's handbook (or whatever that
state calls the pamphlet you are supposed to read before taking a
written test).

See my post about the variability of bicycle laws.