Old January 15th 13, 02:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain Biking Carnage

On Monday, January 14, 2013 6:59:35 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
Mike, you don't get to suddenly decide how statistics are applied. I simply took the published figures.

They aren't relevant, as I already explained. I guess you are too dumb to understand statistics.

Also, just to put you straight, the usual measure when applied to transport is Death per Mile Travelled (or x miles travelled) ... no need to thank me by the way !

That would be fine, but you don't provide that.

I already invited you, if you want to come up with something more, to provide data. I don't have deaths per hour ... I highly doubt you do either.

It's obvious.

However, to play the game, let's do a strawman ...

Let's say that the US's 50 million mountainbikers

There aren't 50 million mountain bikers in the U.S., liar.

ride, on average, once every two weeks for 15 miles. You postulate that the distance is higher on your website but, hey, let's give you a chance on this.

That means that the total distance covered in a year is 19.5 billion miles.

You have about 12-15 deaths on your list ... but that's for the whole world ... not just the US. However, let's give you an even bigger chance and say that it's 24 fatalities per annum in the US alone.

That means that there are 0.00123 fatalities per million MTB miles travelled.

However, the figure for driving in the US is 1.5 per million miles travelled.

So, they are not even close ... as I said ... even if you make the MTB figures ridiculous (say 2,400 deaths per annum in the US ... which is certainly not the case) you still only come up with 0.123 deaths per million miles.

Quad Erat Demonstrandum ...

So what degree did you get, and where? I know you are bluffing, or you would have told us already!

Appeal to authority = Logical Fallacy.

I am not playing your stupid games.

However, given that I am British (as you know)

No, I don't.

and that there is only one British university on the list above Harvard I thought you might have figured it out. Ho hum !

That only indicates your stupidity. You have to look at how they were rated when I graduated from Berkeley & Harvard, when your university probably wasn't on the map. I can't believe you ever went to a university, to make such a simple blunder.

So tell me again about my "masters in statistics"! LIAR!