Old July 13th 05, 03:37 PM
Claire Petersky

"Fred" wrote in message

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message

Distance Saturday - 107 miles

Distance Sunday - 97 miles

Wow!

What kind of training did Rose do for this ride? How long has she been
riding?

Rose has always had neurological issues with coordination and balance, and
had occupational/physical therapy as a toddler and preschooler to get her at
least within a standard deviation of her age group. She would scream like
you were cutting off her arm with a chain saw when put on a bicycle at age
5. She took very well, though, to the trail-a-bike. She can ride a single
today, but she's always happier on the tandem, where all she has to do is
pedal, and not have to worry about falling over.

Before this year, she her max was 20 - 25 mile loops with me around the
area, with maybe a 30 miler being the big ride of the summer. Last fall, we
were doing one of those 25 mile loops, and I casually said something like,
"if you did this four times in one day, that would be your first day of
STP". December 6 -- I posted it to the group -- she said that she wanted to
train for STP 2005.

We started with a flat 15 mile Sunday training ride in January. We did a
training ride every weekend of increasing mileage or difficulty, such that,
by mid-June, we did a very hilly 70 mile ride. Then we slacked off to rides
about that same distance, but less strenuous. Mid-week, we started off by at
first, just riding to her bat mitzvah class (15 flat miles, skipping the
horrible hill at end). We then added the horrible hill at the end, and then
did it as a 30 mile loop. My husband often did the bat mitvah ride with her
instead. So, she was getting about 100 miles a week towards the end.
Unfortunately, we never did get to doing a back-to-back difficult ride like
is demanded on STP.

Me, on top of these rides with Rose, I was riding to and from work, putting
on an additional 75 - 125 (also increasing as the year progressed) miles,
and then occasional rides with my husband.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at: