Old August 1st 17, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default New bike for Jay

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:00:31 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-07-29 18:33, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 07:34:09 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27 Jul
2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more than
two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I don't go
into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with a rack so I
can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle bosses
and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding trails in
the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or some other
option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the upper
end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in Portland :-)

Your equation doesn't mention OAT which is critical to the body's
water usage. If one were riding in the Mojave desert on the 4th of
July your liquid requirement wouldn't be sufficient and if in Nome on
Christmas day it would be overkill.

It's not my equation, it is recommended by sports medicine guys and they
know a thing or two about dehydration. I assume they calculated for
heavy riding where you pump out close to as much as your body will give
at the current weather conditions. Note they say "per hour", not "per xx
miles".

If your experts did not mention air temperature and humidity then they
weren't experts.

As an example. When I was stationed at Edwards AFB, in the Mojave
desert, a couple of "rock hounds" got stuck within easy walking
distance of a main highway and decided to walk out to get help. the
collapsed and died before they had walked 3 miles.

On the other hand I can ride 20 km (about 12 miles) in tropical
Thailand without drinking a bit.

The difference, of course, is that in the Mojave desert "summertime"
temperatures can be as high as 120 degrees (F) while in Thailand
average temperatures in the same period may be as high as 80 degrees
(F).

I might also comment that elite marathon runners often cross the
finish line dehydrated from 6 - 7%, so at least some of this hoopala
about hydration just isn't accurate. In fact hyponatremia, caused by
taking in too much water is a potentially fatal condition

By the way, weighing one's self before and after exercise provides a
much better indication of hydration then thirst. The usually accepted
figure is not more then a 2% loss in body weight. Although as
mentioned above, elite runners do exceed that number.
--
Cheers,

John B.