Old August 2nd 17, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default New bike for Jay

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 5:08:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 7:53:38 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 4:42:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Jay ? how's the A/C ?

I have no A/C. It's 97 degrees currently. Predicted 105 tomorrow and 108 on Thursday. I'll be sleeping in the basement.

AND DRINKING GALLONS AND GALLONS OF WATER because I don't want to have a deadly thirst incident.

BIKE CONTENT: Cannondale is giving me a new CX frame. Not exactly what I wanted, but it's free. Now I have too many bikes. Maybe I'll sell the frame.

-- Jay Beattie.

THE NEW BIKE IS AN IMPROVEMENT OVER THE CANNONDALE ?

please describe

Good question because I haven't built-up the bike or even seen the frame.

Compared to the old CX frame, the Search has a lower BB, longer head tube, longer TT, slightly lighter, and it has a better front-end feel. Very planted but not dead. I like it, but it's no sports car. The steering angles on the CX bike plus the pepperoni forks gave it a pretty heavy steering feel.

The Search also has new parts. The old CX bike was a mishmash of old parts, and I'm not exactly sure whether I want to hang them on a new bike. But I could -- particularly since 9sp chains last longer.

The new bike should be BB30 (per web specs) and not BB30A -- Cannondale's new PITA standard (standard 30mm ID, 42mm OD but a bottom bracket shell that is 5mm wider -- so you can't use a standard BB30 crank, but you can use Shimano Hollowtech with Wheels Mfg adapters). I wish it were threaded English.. The new frame also has flat-mount rear disc mounts -- meaning some sort of adapter for the BB7 or new rear brake (I haven't checked), and it has internal "tube" routing -- and I assume that works for ordinary cable housing. I'll need a new headset for a tapered steerer. It doesn't have through axles, so the other stuff should work. It has fender mounts -- but no through hole in the fork, so dyno light would have to go on bars unless I do some "under-crown" mount.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home