Old August 2nd 20, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default LBS owner's essay

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/1/2020 5:48 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
AMuzi wrote: On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 5:45:42 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:

When I needed a replacement 10.5mm x 26 TPI nut for an SRAM 3x7 hub

Anyone surprised that SMS did not care to look up the part# or the specs in
the SRAM manuals?

SRAM Part # 65 0516 003 100 Axle Nut FG10,5
65 0516 107 000 Axle Cap Nut FG10,5

I first drove to 4 local shops. Forget it. One shop knew what I was
talking about at least. Ordered it from YOUR shop. I wasn't trying
to save money by ordering it, I just wanted the darn part and no LBS
could help me. Later I found one LBS that had the "close enough"
13/32 x 26 TPI Sturmey-Archer axle nuts (that shop is now out of
business).

Because SMS, the pathetically cheap Walmart + China shopper, and his "smart"
constituents, assume that an LBS can survive on selling a few, somewhat
exotic, axle nuts a year, preferably stocked, to lazy cagers who smugly feel
as if they are "supporting their LBS" by their grandiose spare nut purchases?

Neither a 1.0 metric nor a 26tpi gauge fits exactly on those axles and
Sachs/SRAM doesn't state the thread. Even if you decided that 'something
close' would do, there are no m11x1.0 nuts in common use anywhere, not
autos, not McMaster-Carr or what have you.

From the SRAM techmanual gearhubsystems pdf (archive):
Axle - Ends Diameter - FG 10,5

(FG = Fahrradgewinde)

Your old Winkler-Rauch (book) has all the data on it:
Steigung 0,977; Flankenwinkel 60°;
Außendurchmesser 10,444; Flankendurchmesser 9,924; Kerndurchmesser 9,404;
Gangzahl pro Zoll 26; Gewindetiefe 0,520; Gewinderundung 0,163

I do think it's strange that they settled on non-standard threading for
such a simple part. Despite claims, it can't be for reasons of strength.

Just because Frank Krygowski (or some lean-brained, Chicago corn trader MBA
bozo at SRAM, excuse my Polish), "thinks" a part is non-standard does not
mean it really is not.

Andrew, any clue why they would have done that?

When they decided that the usual, thinner FG9,5 rear hub axles weren't
strong enough for the growing O.L.D. of gear hubs, somewhere past the 2sp
IGH era.

Vaguely related: I'm in the habit of stripping fasteners or other
potentially useful bits out of devices I'm discarding. So I've got
several small drawers of 1/4-20 sorted by length, a small drawer of
5mmx0.8 stuff, one of 6mmx1, etc.

And I've got a small drawer marked "Metric Misc." which is mostly
fasteners that really shouldn't exist. They don't fit any standard I can
find.

As mentioned above, it might not be the (British, or DIN 79012, or whatever)
standards' fault.
https://www.fahrradmonteur.de/Fahrradgewinde