Old August 2nd 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default LBS owner's essay

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 12:27:11 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/1/2020 6:41 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 6:10:38 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Really, you expect a shop to carry an axle bolt that is rare even on the interweb? I could understand your complaint if they didn't have a standard inner-tube, but I would expect a shop to order some Dodo bird part from the manufacturer or some distributor and not keeping it in stock, waiting for that one guy with a SRAM leisure hub -- who somehow LOST a hub nut -- to come into the shop. Its not like a wear item.

-- Jay Beattie.

Make that an axle nut.

Didn't lose it. It was cracked.

So its a P[OS] axle nut to boot. I would have made whatever shop sold you the bike warranty it. Where did you get the bike? Write them a threatening letter on your mayor letterhead claiming that you could have died from a catastrophic nut failure. They'll probably send you a whole new bike.

Every time I hear your stories, I wonder if you're hallucinating or if the whole SCV bike culture has gone down the toilet. When I lived down there, San Jose had all sorts of scary old bike shops where you could buy odd-ball nuts and bolts. What about Cupertino Bikes? You're mayor of the GD town, and they're using your name. Wheel Away? They've been around forever. Palo Alto?

Back when I lived there, we had scary old Faber's Cyclery for all the old parts -- which apparently burned down, probably fueled by a lot of old parts and dust.

-- Jay Beattie.