Old August 4th 20, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default LBS owner's essay

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1:12:35 PM UTC+1, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 10:27:03 PM UTC+1, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Don't remind me of the next scheduled Shimano Nexus gear bath!

A Rohloff HGB is serviced by an oil change every 3000m/5000km. The
insertion of the cleaning oil, the extraction of the dirty oil, and the
insertion of the new clean running oil is all accomplished with a
screw-in syringe, without the oil ever touching your hands. Furthermore,
the materials required are less than half the price of a Shimano Nexus
oil bath.

Storing the plastic junk from the initial hub infusion and later buying the
fresh oils off the local R-dealer's large containers is slightly more messy,
but cheapest. Shimano should absolutely stick to their clever oil pricing
scheme -- it keeps the shops happy who will, purely for environmental
reasons,

Heh-heh!

reuse the remaining bathing oil for the next hub to service, but
motivates a frustrated Nexus rust bather to skip the 11sp Shimano and move
right on to Rohloff, or Pinion.

In the normal course of events I wouldn't ever consider a Pinion or any other bicycle component which requires a special frame that cannot be used for standard bicycle components. But I drove Porsche from the 356 forwards until I became a family man in a staid Volvo Estate with space for the baby's gear. So I'd like at least to try a Pinion. But, as far as I know, mine is the only Rohloff within 300m of me (right off the island in all directions) so the chances of running into a Pinion owner are infinitesimally small.

Quad erat demonstrandum

I'd prefer a quad-saving 27 percent difference for the lightest 2-1 gear
step, but as Rohloff is not likely to ever offer this, I redefined gear 3 as
the second-to last on steepening inclines.

Heh-heh!

"Quad", which should correctly be "Quod", was a pun on Rohloff's "All Seasons" oil. As I'm sure you know, the Rohloff has 13 percent gear separations and the control is in-line rotary, so you just zip right through a couple or several gear combos faster than you can make even one gear change on a derailleur-equipped bike. Since I have no roadie or other bicycle-sports background, and hated the only derailleur bike I ever had (mainly because it wrecked my back by over specified frame design, but also for its incompetent, fragile Sachs-Huret Omega derailleurs), it doesn't bother me at all that the convention is to change one gear at a time.

Andre Jute
Machines are my servants, not the converse.