Old August 5th 20, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default LBS owner's essay

On 8/4/2020 6:10 PM, wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1:40:10 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 19:41:52 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/2/2020 6:19 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:25:49 -0700, sms wrote:

Because it was widely used I would expect a long-time store to have some
in their shop.

sadly, some parts are just not economical for them to stock.

Andrew's store had them. And to be fair, at least
Off-Ramp had the somewhat compatible Sturmey-Archer nuts that Sheldon
said could be used in a pinch.

But the point I was making is that an LBS can't get upset when you order
stuff online that they have no interest in selling anyway.

For me, it s 27" tubes and tyres. All the local BS have moved to only
stocking whatever the latest fashion is.

Tubes of the appropriate width for 700C and 27" are
completely fungible. The boxes were labeled with both sizes
not all that long ago. Buy 700C tubes in the valve and width
of your choice.

Besides generic 27" tires for older not so special bikes,
which are an inexpensive commodity, Panaracer still offers
Pasela Aramid bead 27" in a choice of widths. Can't imagine
a shop not stocking those but they aren't all that rare.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

27" tires are pretty rare up here as far as being stocked by a LBS. They'll order them in for you though.

Cheers

You're Canada, right? So 27" tires would be rare for you. I assume Canada and Europe stuck to metric/international standards for tires. 700C. Only the USA wanted to be completely different from the rest of the world. Like standard/inch nuts and everyone else uses metric nuts.

It's the British "HP" format which won out over the
Continent's 700C for a good chunk of time here. Most large
manufacturers built bicycles in both formats for different
export markets.