Old June 4th 21, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Truing Stand

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 2:58:28 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 5:51:59 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/3/2021 7:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/3/2021 8:17 PM, AMuzi wrote:

BTW I do most truing 'in the bike'. I only occasionally
build wheels now (when employees are 'too good' for some
jobs and some customers).Ā The result is the same.Ā
Although a stand with good lighting can be more convenient
it's not essential.

I built my first wheel riding in a VW van during the long
drive to the airport for our first overseas bike tour. I
used the inverted bike frame as the truing stand.

Those were the days!

I built my first wheel in a Brooklyn park[1] over many hours
one sunny day many long years ago.

It fell apart riding to work Monday morning. I walked the
last mile or so.

[1]https://www.brooklyn.net/other_bklyns/bklyn_wi.html

I built my first wheel while living in a rolled-up newspaper, eating gravel in a snow storm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7w...ullMontyPython

-- Jay Beattie.