Old August 20th 05, 06:58 AM
SoCalMike

Default Are these okay? - 48cc bicycle motors

wrote:
I found an ad on ebay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/48cc-SCOOTER-KIT...QQcmdZViewItem
for a bicycle motor kit. I understand you have to pedal a couple times
from a stop, and then engage the clutch on the handle bar. (And start
it the same way, but while going faster.)

Do these work okay? Once going, will it take the bike up hill? (city
street)

There are a couple other places selling similiar kits under different
brand names.

Thanks for any comments or experiences.

hm... no idea. seems kinda neat... looks like it runs a chain to one of
the smaller sprockets on a mtn bike, requiring either a cheap mtn bike,
10-speed, or something with a spare front chainwheel and diamond frame,
wouldnt work on my aluminum frame monoshock.

OTOH... it also looks like it will require a LOT of tinkering,
adjusting, fitting, etc to get it right. and the engine is a complete
unknown.

ive seen much simpler kits that use a KNOWN name-brand engine, like mc
collough, tecumseh, etc that mount in the rear and use a roller. any
lawnservice mechanic can get parts and work on one, since its basically
a weedwacker engine. proven durability, too. and a MUCH easier mounting
design.

if you want something simple and durable, id go this route.