Old November 30th 07, 04:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

Default How fast will flies fly?

"DaveB" wrote in message
u...
The weather is heating up and the flies are out which really annoy the
hell out of me on long climbs. On these long climbs I've had plenty of
time to come up with a theory.

My theory is that (all brontosauruses are thin at one end ...sorry
couldn't resist) flies are only prepared to fly at 13kmh to land on me. If
I'm going 14kmh I'm not worthy of chasing and they leave me alone. Of
course that only applies if there's no wind. Anyone else noticed this? How
about a measurement to identify how stinky you are, eg. so stinky flies
will still follow you at 17kmh

DaveB

Some interesting stuff here about the aussie bush fly and others.

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html

"Wind speed. Another surprising one: strong winds don't make bush flies less
pesky. They bother you almost as much on a windy day as on a still one.
Winds speeds of 36 km/hr and more were common in one set of experiments, but
it didn't keep the flies grounded -- or off people. But note this: though
bush flies take to the air on a windy day, they get blown downwind. Relative
to the air, they fly pretty slowly (about 8 km/hr, top speed)."