Old October 1st 14, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_4_]

Default Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much

Stay in lower gears and cycling actually makes knees better.

This corresponds with my experience.

It's not just cycling. My arm suffered an injury in May and I was forced to use fins in the pool all summer. After about 1200 meters my knees would start to hurt. I'd take off the fins and a few laps later my knees were good enough for flippers again.

There must be thousands of tennis players who use this strategy.

Then why do so many cyclists develop patellofemoral syndrome?

How many is "so many"? Perhaps it actually developed before they became a

"cyclist".

Or concurrently. A former triathlete at the pool said he had to get a knee replacement because of running.

In any event, even if you hate cycling and cyclists, unless you have access to a helicopter, the best bet for evacuating from a big tsunami is a bicycle.

Bret Cahill