Old April 13th 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cyclists and pedestrians in LA

On 4/13/2018 11:57 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 08:29:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Video is dramatic.

Never been to LA; looking at this and related articles it seems that
similar rageful inidents are on the upswing. We've had an increase in
car-pedestrian collisions locally. I am not sure if we've seenthe same
intentional harming by drivers but there have been a number of
well-publicized hit-and-runs. A few years ago a law was passed
requiring drivers to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, whether marked
as such or not. When walking I find that feels much less safe because
some cars stop and some don't. The law was well-intentioned and aimed
at reducing injuries, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.

There's been something of an upswing in car-pedestrian injuries in
particular. Car-bike injuries are less frequent and it's harder to
identify trends with (thankfully) few data points- just one such
accident increases or decreases the numbers by 20-25%. Good if we can
keep it that way.

https://tinyurl.com/stpaulcar-ped-bike

Looking at the LA story, it seems as though the driver left the scene
and then came back, speeding through a red light and striking the victim
as well as nearly striking others. Does that make it intentional under
the law (vehicular assault or something like that)? I know nothing
about California law.

I also question the vigil blocking the public throughfare. Seems to me
that the point of the vigil could be made without that. Dunno, I guess
I am inclined to support civil disobedience rather than civil
disruption. We had some of that a couple of years ago with a prolonged
Black Lives Matter protest in front of the governor's mansion. That was
fine and I thought effective as well (although I know many people who
were annoyed by it and thought it should have been suppressed after a
day or two, which I didn't understand- it's the protesters' time to do
with as they choose); subsequently blocking an interstate highway in
protest was not (that highway has a troublesome history within the local
black community, so I get why the action was taken but IMHO it was not
helpful to their cause to do so).

Out here in the real world, every solution brings its own
new problems:

https://nltimes.nl/2018/04/13/dutch-...fic-assoc-says

not just in Minnesota either!

--