Old September 26th 18, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Interbike 2018 Report

On 2018-09-21 08:47, sms wrote:
Headed up there yesterday, for the day. It's now in Reno, so from
the Bay Area it's easier to drive than fly. The show has shrunk
considerably from its heyday. But they had a bike that would
probably be Jorge-Approved, and a light that might be
Frank-Approved, though those are very high bars. Grant Peterson
had several Jay-compatible models on display in the Rivendell
booth, but he didn't have an aluminum model with a carbon-fiber
fork, and disc brakes.

Rather than post the report here, I put it up on Google Docs,
including photos.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wAiw__UK7KkYw1CO2lbSIdy14p0LXdH8RpnVqneDv5k

Thanks. The growler bike looks classic but I don't plan on using E-bikes
until I am 85 or so.

Is the bottom left picture on page 1 depicting a whiskey flask? The
kind that John Wayne would throw his horse riding buddy before a
gun fight? That would make a bike ride quite interesting. "No free
beer" is ok as long as they sell good microbrew at reasonable
prices. Though the show would probably not be too interesting for
me because all this stuff trends too much in the direction of
E-bikes. I prefer muscle power.

As for the "ultimate new edible" I have yet to see any
bike-specific fare that I wouldn't want to spit out into the sand.
I even gave up on regular nut bars except for rides under 20mi. Too
much sugar. Over 20mi I carry home-baked bread with generous layers
of cheese and sausage. The real bread, of course, with the starter
dough made from beer fermentation residue (trub), bread dough
kneaded using an electric power drill and baked outdoors over
manzanita fire.

For electrolyte I use simple Emergen-C powder. $10 makes dozens of
bottles. Since it tastes a bit medicinal we add freshly squished
lemon juice. Which is a byproduct in our household because my wife
makes her own Limoncello and the peeled lemons are sort of left
over. Nothing goes to waste here.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You know Joerg, you remind me of a good friend who is so set in his
ways that he won't even bother to investigate anything new.

I have investigated. Regarding food pretty much all the cyclist's stuff
including "astronaut pouches" that my sister uses. Bleccchhhh. I've even
gone away from the nut bars I used to like a lot. Tastes too sugary by
now and I am just not a fan of anything sweet. I found that good old
bread with cheese and cold cuts is way better on bike rides. Home-baked
bread, of course, not this soft rubbery store-bought stuff.

Lo and behold another rider now went the same way so when we bake he
swings by and takes a few pounds home. Except he is a vegetarian so no
cold cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi4czjB1No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFjqPoVc84

Seen too many other riders with tubeless who got stranded. Needless to
say they didn't carry a spare tube. Once I even had to cram my 29" spare
tube into someones 26" MTB. At least that got him home.