Old September 26th 18, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default BBC: Children to be banned from cycling to school without number plates

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 3:50:56 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/25/2018 2:58 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 9/25/18 6:06 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Children have been told they will be banned from cycling
to their south
London school if they do not put number plates on their
bikes.

Teachers at Stanley Park High, in Carshalton, are
introducing the scheme
so members of the public can report pupils cycling
dangerously.

The secondary school said the main aim was to keep
children safe.

Charity Cycling UK questioned why Stanley Park High "want
to make
cycling to school more difficult".

On the school's website, head teacher Amit Amin wrote:
"All students who
cycle to school will be required to display a
school-issued bicycle
number plate when riding to and from school.

"Students without a number plate will not be permitted to
cycle to
school, or lock their bicycles on school grounds."

Mr Amin said the measure was in response to incidents of
children
cycling in a way that "endangers themselves and others".

Ban children. They are annoying little ****bags, and the
world would be a more peaceful place without them.

Well, yes, except my grandsons are wonderful young men. Who
ride bikes.

Big kids are good for SOME things, like a draft. The commute with my son this morning was almost all above 30mph -- except when stopped or got jammed in traffic near my office. He hit the gas and gapped me in one place, and I practically hacked a lung getting back on -- along with some dope who was hanging on to my wheel. We picked him up while passing a flock of cyclists on the way into town. I podiumed again in the dopey commuter criterium! Time for a kiss from the itinerant Madison podium girls (and part time sumo wrestlers)!

-- Jay Beattie.