Old December 3rd 12, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Flat tire question

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:16:23 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Not that kind of flat. Here in Northern Illinois it's been a while since I've had time to ride but 55's on Sunday beckon. Check out the bike and the back tire is flat; not sure how long it's been that way. Swap out the tube, holds air, but there's a definitely flat spot on the tire. Will that work itself out over time or is the tire toast?

Steve

All bicycle tubes leak air and over time they will go flat or nearly so. If they're left long enough with the tire flat they can develop the flat spot where the tire has been sitting.

Fully inflated to pressure this spot should disappear. If there is a flat spot at that time, with the tire inflated, riding it would jar your teeth out. So while it's possible that such a flat spot could work its way out (making certain that there is no tread damage in that spot and that the tread is not lifting off of the casing) you probably would want to change the tire out.

I will say that I've never seen such a flat spot stay in a tire after it was inflated. But I ride pretty high quality road tires.