Old January 5th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CrazyChrisVT

Default What do you wear when it starts getting cold?

I have a bunch of clothing that I wear for both Uni and MTBing. I just
put the studded tire on my uni but haven't been out yet. I have been
out on the MTB a few times on the ice...

This past weekend a friend and I went out to the end of the Causeway,
an old railroad bridge out across a Lake Champlain bay that has been
converted into a bike path. The bay side always freezes early, but the
open water side takes longer. Storms cause alot of wave action over the
path, so the path ends up covered with a thick layer of bumpy ice.

That day was beautiful but about 20F with a strong nasty crosswind.

Attached is a pix of me in my gear:
long bike tights,
winter snow pants,
rockgardn knee/leg pads (good for ice falls and keeping pants away from
cranks),
sorel snowpak boots (warm),
medium thickness socks,
long sleeved t-shirt,
fleece vest
thin green jacket with hood,
helmet beanie,
scarf,
helmet,
ski goggles (didn't have them on in the pic, but I did just after),
ski gloves (but revert to leather w/ liner if not that windy out),
and a rain coat for a wind breaker.

I was warm, for the most part!

I have water bladder equiped pack too, but in the winter I take the
bladder and store it in a special bag in the back of my fleece vest,
then put the green jacket and rain coat on over it, then the regular
pack over that. Cumbersome but it prevents the bladder from freezing.

I think the keys are 1) layers, 2) wind protection, 3) gloves and
boots.

|Filename: IMG_3664_small.JPG |

CrazyChrisVT