Old September 17th 19, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Article about SRAM in Forbes

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 6:26:30 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 1:52:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 1:48:50 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 12:31:41 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
They came up with one crappy product that ruined countless bikes, and then they used borrowed money to buy up a bunch of more serious manufacturers and make those products crappier.

I'm not as impressed about that as Forbes is.

Looking at it I cannot see why you would want to pay big bucks for a group that wouldn't only shift one gear at a time. I did a metric yesterday and never got out of the small ring and had to shift at least two gears on every one of the million rollers. With Campy or Shimano that's easy.

Sram red shifts up four at once, the SRAM force shifts up three at once.. Both down only one. I do kind of miss my old Chorus Ergo group that let me shift down three at once, but not enough to justify the cost.

Another thing I don't like about double-tap is it requires too much intelligence. If you're on your last cog and think you've got one cog left and hit the shifter, it drops you down a cog -- kind of the opposite of what you wanted. With Shimano, you're just reminded that there's nothing left -- and that you are old and decrepit and need more cogs. As far as shifting loads of cogs at a time, that's never been a big issue for me. I have a bump-stock on my shifters -- well, fast fingers.

-- Jay Beattie.

I rode a SRAM bike once on a North Carolina week long ride. About 60 miles.. SRAM had loner bikes you could ride during the event. So I did. I HATED pushing the double tap lever over a bit and intending to shift to an easier gear, but I did not push it far enough and shifted to a harder gear. Bad. Or wanting to shift to a harder gear, but pushing the lever too far and shifting to an easier gear. Bad. The SRAM shifters are garbage trying to make the same lever and the same pushing action do two opposite shifts.