Old March 7th 17, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default More About Lights

On 3/6/2017 4:33 PM, Joerg wrote:

The real McCoy would be a worryfree system like in a car where it
recharges while riding. If I ever switch the road bike front wheel to
one with a hub dynamo I will do that. Right now it only has a bottle
dynamo, too much drag and it eats the left side wall of "modern" tires.

I've done well with a bottle dynamo whose drive wheel has an added
circumferential groove to hold a thick O-ring. That O-ring runs on the
rim's braking surface, not on the tire. Zero tire wear, and it runs
very smoothly. I've experienced no slipping - but it's not been tested
in the rain.

--
- Frank Krygowski