Old July 31st 17, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu,
27 Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten
miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take
more than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a
bike, I don't go into the store and ask for an '80s
Euro-sport bike with a rack so I can haul gallons of water on
a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle
bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were
riding trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a
camel back or some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that
far from water on a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the
bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at
the upper end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store
in Portland :-)

There used to be three Performance stores in Portand, but they
closed the one downtown -- the only one close to my work or
home.

So, reading that prescription, do I have to carry eight bottles
for a four hour ride?

Certainly so in hot weather. If you carry much less and have no
re-fill options you could be causing damage to your body.

... Wow, I better start buying cages and hose clamps. Or I could
just stop every hour and fill up my bottles -- assuming I needed
all that fluid. Hmmmmmm.

I need that much fluid when it's around 100F out there like right
now. Yesterday's ride was only 20mi in hilly terrain and I consumed
about 70oz of water plys 16oz of electrolyte.

Ok, plus two pints at a brewpub :-)

I did a 30 mile loop this afternoon -- nothing terrible because
I'm expecting to get throttled by some friends tomorrow.
Temperature was low-mid 80s -- blue skies, low wind. A gorgeous
day. I went through one 21oz bottle, and there is still some
water sloshing around in the bottle.

Unless you rode really slowly that wasn't healthy even without much
sun.

Well, I felt good enough to go out yesterday for a 55 mile ride with
about 20 miles of steady or rolling hills, during which time I drank
one 24oz bottle of Hammer Heed and a quarter of a 21oz bottle of
water -- plus a Cliff Bar. I went early and temperatures were mild,
and except for the return trip down HWY 30, I was often under tree
cover.
http://www.sahdpdx.com/wp-content/up...highway_30.jpg

That looks like an easy ride. Really wide shoulder and all. I had a
similar one on the way home yesterday.

https://goo.gl/maps/k2LVKpS6GLs

The constant din of cars is annoying but I have an MP3 player mounted to
the steerer tube that is (somewhat) able to drown that out.

You complain about your drivers, I was on this road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fzwm4m3ZFI (although it was sunny
and nice).

Yikes! That's how our crotch rocket guys ride. Many assume there will
never be anything behind a curve. Until there is ...

One of my MTB buddy was a first responder and he told me some gruesome
stories about the aftermath.

... It was pretty empty early morning, so no urban race-car
drivers. First climb of the day is four miles of mostly gravel.
http://www.rubbertotheroad.com/ride-...de_36/36_3.jpg It's like
being in the Hobbit kingdom.

If it were blistering hot (i.e. Thursday is predicted to be 107), I
would have consumed much more water, and I would have stopped to
refill. The center section of the ride doesn't have anywhere to stop
(unless I tapped someone's hosebib), but there are spots elsewhere,
and the last eight miles home are through the city -- basically my
commute route plus a few miles. If I were so inclined, I could go to
a half-dozen brew pubs, including the new Breakside in NW. Their IPA
is first-rate. However, I prefer not to ride home after drinking
beer.

I usually have one on the way back or somewhere near the destination. No
more growlers though since I now brew my own.

I felt way better than I should have coming home, I think because of
the HEED -- and a tail wind. Drinking for recovery is just as
important as drinking on the bike, so I had a beer after getting home
-- and then mowed the lawn. That was hard! I drank 120oz of water!

How does Hammer Heed stack up against Ultima Replenisher? That's what I
use so far, the orange version of it. The lemon version tastes too much
like a diet soda IMHO.

Who knew: http://www.texascenterwellness.com/w...rolyte-drinks/

I try stuff, and if it gives me cramps or tastes like sh**, I stop buying it. I do prefer GU to Cliff Shots, but I've never tried the Hammer gel and have few other strong preferences when it comes to magical bike potions. The Hammer Heed makes me feel better . . . I think. It could have been the left-over Mexican from the night before. Who knows.

I have a friend (old chick enduro national champion) who swears by this https://www.infinitnutrition.us/ As long as it isn't total snake oil, it's basically just pick something you like.

The Hammer orange flavor is mild and tastes like creamsicles. Fruit punch anything should be avoided.

-- Jay Beattie.