Old June 27th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Fenders are for sissies, but they keep your back dry when the ?roads wet

Tom Bates wrote:

I just purchased a new bike, and it happened to come with fenders.
As long as they do not present some type of mechanical problem
(harder to change a tire or something) I really do not care. I have
had a number of bikes, and none had fenders but that was because
they did not come with any. On one bike I bought some fenders to
put on, but they never fit very well, and I returned them.

Just so you don't think that fenders present no hazards, let me
explain why and why some manufacturers work hard to avoid this hazard
with break-away fender braces. If a derailleur stick flips up into
the rear wheel, it can rip the derailleur off its dropout if it
engages the right part of the chain. That's why riding over a 3/8"
foot long sturdy curved twig is not a good idea.

However, if such a derailleur stick gets in the front wheel, it can
jam between the spokes and fender brace, sucking the fender into the
tire with sufficient force to buckle the fender and stop the front
wheel. I've watched it happen and it occurred on a dirt road with a
road bicycle. We had warned the rider, but he thought we were only
opposed to riding with a "fender geek".

There are always snobs, but I figure snobs were invented by Madison
Avenue so we would purchase things we do not need at a higher price
than is necessary.

The snobs just have the wrong reasons for their opposition to fenders,
they haven't ridden to work often enough in the rain. On the other
hand, drawing a tangent from the downward pedal to the front tire
should make clear that without a "mud flap" your shoes will be filled
with water.

Jobst Brandt