Old July 27th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default TdF and recumbents

On Jul 27, 10:27*am, Hank wrote:
On Jul 27, 8:52*am, Tim McNamara wrote:

Pat writes:
How would a recumbent handle the Tour?

You mean, if the UCI rules permitted the use of recumbents?

They'd like have some advantage on flat breakaways and time trials,
but the disadvantages in sprinting and climbing would scupper them
compared to regular bikes.

Another factor is that recumbents are heavier than regular bikes,
although there are now some 20-22 lb recumbents (e.gg., Bacchetta)
that can be bought by Joe Everedge. *That would go a long way towards
improving climbing. *My friend Don's titanium Bacchetta seems to work
pretty good on climbs.

I'm wondering how well they'd handle switchbacks, since all lowracers
are LWB, right? Plus, having the rider closer to the ground reduces
lean clearance.

I think they'd be great for TTs and probably flat road stages. In the
mountains, both climbing and descending (unless the descent is a
straightaway), not so much.

And every time Tom uses the phrase "foam hat" I want to punch him in
the neck. Not that I'm pro- or anti-helmet, it's just a jackass thing
to call it.

Hey, I am a proud wearer of a foam hat. My current one bears the marks
of a fall and it is cracked on one side. I had another one that I
cracked in half. Don't know what damage I would have sustained without
the foam hat, but I am certainly glad I was wearing it on those two
occasions. So, I take no offense in wearing a foam hat. Mine I got on
sale at sierra trading post many years ago and it fits very comfy. Its
blue with yellow and red, sort of like one of those hot-rods with
flames on the sides. Any anti-helmet proponents would be envious of my
excellent taste and looks. Style man and the Fav five would certainly
approve and wear one just to walk if they saw me. Also, I like to
paint and all my cyclists wear foam hats and look good.

http://www.geocities.com/andresmuro/desert.html

Anyways, its been raining like crazy hear in the El Pazso dessert for
the last couple of days. So, I am going running instead of riding. See
ya latter.

Andres