Old October 9th 04, 01:32 AM
dalev

"M. Chandler" wrote in message ...
I've got a RANS Stratus, and am wondering if there are any good
alternatives to the ubiquitous seat bags sold by RANS, Radical, etc.
I'm not looking to carry the proverbial kitchen sink, just spare tubes,
some small tools, wallet, keys, glasses, phone, and some snacks.

Suggestions?

I use a plain backpack, something like a school bookbag, on my 2000
Rocket. Mine is an old Jansport, but there are a thousand and some of
them are quality. It sits on the rear rack I took off my "retired" DF
bike and zip-tied to the seat supports. The pack straps fit over the
top rail of the seat, and come thru the precut slots for seat
supports-- no cutting... The pack came with compression straps--
mandatory for carrying widely varying loads. The Jansport has side
pockets for water bottles-- one has my tools, tube, patch kit, and
pump-- the other has rain gear-- neither is full.. I do not carry an
extra tire, but it would have to be tied outside if I did. The center
large pocket will fit my water bladder, but I only drink water when I
run out of coke machines... The main pocket is as large or as small as
you want to buy-- there are a thousand of these... The Jansport, from
a hiking and backpacking store, is water resistant cordura, and I
spray it now and then with a water repellent-- especially after I run
it thru the washing machine... In the tool pocket I keep some bits of
rope to cinch the pack at the bottom to the RANS seat... I only do
that when it gets heavy. This is a low (OK, -no-) budget solution.. I
am in slobbering envy of that Alex guy's rig with underseat
rack/packs, tested and proved touring packs, lights, etc... but I just
can't justify the bucks... And Santa has no clue...