Old February 19th 18, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Ouch. This happened to me once

On 2/19/2018 11:38 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/19/2018 10:21 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/19/2018 10:32 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shing-car.html

(I was test riding a customer's race bike when Asian
Kitchen delivery turned in. They replaced his bike.)

How odd! The magic paint somehow failed to prevent the
collision!

In the U.S. it would have been mirror image, so a right
hook. Over there, it's a left hook. Either way, it's a
common collision.

And this illustrates the weirdness of the bike lane concept.
Under what circumstances would a straight-ahead motoring
lane be placed between the curb and a lane where turns are
permitted? And when would a motorist think it's safe to
"undertake" like that when a vehicle has its turn signal
blinking?

Not mirror in my case; he pulled right with right blinker on, then
suddenly decided on a left U-turn as I passed. Fortunately there were
witnesses.

Ah. Most American drivers don't understand what that stick thing is, the
one just past the left side of their steering wheel. You encountered one
who was even worse than average.

I liked this instructional video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFHCyNVBTk

I like the "pretty incredible" and "but it may require you to put down
your coffee"

--
- Frank Krygowski