Old May 15th 11, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default I didn't think I'd like a "fixie"...

Tom Lake wrote:
... however, I had an old, quality frame from the '80s with 100K on
it; the components were worn, so I set it up with a "flip flop" hub
and I found that it suits me well.

One question, though: chain tension is a bear. When you have to
remove the rear wheel, what's the best method of getting it back in
with correct tension on the drive chain? I need a few more hands, I
fear. The BMX crowd has those chain devices that seem to work on that
style of drop out. What's my method with the 30 degree drop outs?

I have a solid axle.

Lubricate your axle nuts.

Drop wheel in, snug up one side.
Check centering and chain tension, walk one side or the
other as needed, then fully tighten.

This isn't difficult or complex and note well that chain
needs this much slack:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/chainchk.html

Overly tight chain eats bearings and chainrings both
mercilessly and quickly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/