Old May 16th 11, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default I didn't think I'd like a "fixie"...

On May 15, 3:12*pm, Tom Lake wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 10:27:42 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech

" wrote:
Have you read Sheldon on the subject?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

There's a good section there about getting your chainring as
concentric as possible.

Sheldon also talks about "walking" the rear wheel into desired
position (serving to regulate chain tension). Tighten one side semi-
tight, work the wheel back and forth, tightening sides as appropriate
to arrive at correct chain tension with a centered wheel.
On a good day I can jam a hand in between the seat tube and the rear
tire and do it with two "tightens".

(excuse me) Don't check a moving chain's tension with your fingers,
any way shape or form. There are pictures of guys they started calling
"Stumpy" after one or more digits got sucked into the chain and drive
teeth of cog or chainring.

Fixed or freewheel (including the White Industries Dos Uno two-cog
fixed arrangement), good deal, it's fun. Just got my fixed out the
other day and had one of the best 2011 rides so far, excellent and I
only forgot once!

Well, you'd think I'd read that first; however, I didn't. *Methinks
his people should take that into a "wiki-bikes" type of format. *I'd
bet Sheldon would approve. *I never had the pleasure of meeting the
man.

If I were building a fixie from scratch, I think I'd go with a
vertical drop out and an eccentric BB shell in a chain case.

Now, you know what *I* think... use your next two wishes wisely!

I'm quite fond of the sturdy and straightforward Redline tugnuts I use
on my single speed. Regular track dropouts. I rarely fuss with chain
tension, as you can pull the wheel, reinstall with the tugs, and the
chain will be exactly as it was before.

http://www.amazon.com/Redline-Alloy-...uct/B000AYEWUK