Old February 1st 19, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Grocery Bike

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 22:19:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 6:29:26 PM UTC-6, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:30:08 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 10:43:03 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM, wrote:
I am fortunate to have a grocery store only 3/4 mile from my house. So I walk for groceries.

When I was working at my first engineering job, I owned a car, a
motorcycle and a bicycle. But I walked the mile to work, unless I woke
up late.

Now I ride my three speed even to drop mail at the post office 0.2 miles
away. For me, it's just more fun to ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not arguing its fun to ride. I enjoy riding. But for simplicity, its easy to walk 3/4 mile to the store. Just grab my plastic bags and walk out the door. No clothing or shoe change needed. Coming home is a little harder if I buy heavy stuff. My arms get stretched from the weight of the bags. My walk is pretty pleasant when its not winter. Flat. Sidewalk the whole way. Shade from trees for half the distance. And its good exercise. More exercise than riding the same distance. But its not hard exercise that will improve cardio vascular or strength or anything. Its exercise that gets me off my butt and helps circulation and moves the joints. And I get to breathe fresh air.

The normal marching rate is, and has been since the days of the Roman
Empire, about 3 miles per hour. So a 0.2 mile distance could be walked
in about 4 minutes and a 3/4 mile in 15 minutes. It seems hardly worth
opening the garage door :-)

Cheers,
John B.

Are you sure? 3 miles per hour, 20 minutes per 1 mile, is very slow.

I easily walk at a pleasant pace to the store 3/4 mile away in at most
10 minutes. Or a bit less. Even carrying heavy bags of groceries
home, I still only take about 10 minutes to walk 3/4 mile. That is
about 4.5 mph. 50% faster than your official marching rate. I can't
imagine any army ever getting anywhere if they only marched 3 miles
per hour. It would take them all day to even have a small parade for
the top brass.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_march

Granted these are for soldiers carrying a pack, but you did mention
heavy groceries and you'll note I did say "about 3 miles per hour" :-)

Perhaps you are walking faster for short distance. The Roman standard
was 20 Roman miles (~18.4 modern miles) in 5 hours. The modern British
standard is something like 12.43 miles in three and a half hours.

The Royal Marines recently broke a 19 year old marching record with a
new record of 26.2 miles in 4 hours, 16 minutes and 43 seconds.
Roughly 6 miles an hour.

--
Cheers,
John B.