Old February 7th 19, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2/6/19 11:36 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I sometimes wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or at my weight, the
load cycles just fatigue spoke holes. I've even cracked 36H E2s/MA2s,
but after many, many years. I didn't replace the last one until the
spoke socket pulled through the rim, and I ran out of spoke threads
to keep the wheel true. BTW, they have a big ERD like 608, and its
hard finding a swap-able rim. I've built 32H Velocity Aeroheads to
115kgf and got cracking. Velocity recommends 110 to 130kgf. My son
cracked a DT450 I built -- to spec. And its not like my tensiometer
is off. The spokes are not rock hard and the rims certainly aren't
taco-ing during building.

I have to say I normally go for 90-100kgf and have had no problems on
various rims (including MA2s). The one time I went over, into the
115-120 range, I suffered from spokes breaking periodically until I
slacked it off.

Has anyone measured factory built rims to see if the really tension them
up to their own specs?