Old February 12th 19, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Disk brakes might be useful

AMuzi wrote:
:On 2/6/2019 11:25 AM, Ned Mantei wrote:
: On 06-02-19 16:38, Joerg wrote:
: I have used up some rims over my riding years. Back as a
: student when I did 6000 miles per year I "solved" the
: problem of having to spoke in by buying another used
: beater bike every year. After I bought my first custom
: road bike I had it done at the LBS because I am not that
: good in trueing a wheel.
:
: Waiting too long can be risky and not all rims have good
: indicators when they are about to go. My sister had a
: violent rim blow-out on a mountain bike. Luckily it was
: the rear wheel. Of course, according to Sir, our family
: must be a bunch of carnivores and rim eaters.
:
: Not long ago I replaced the front rim on my everyday bike.
: This was a DT-Swiss rim, which had as a wear indicator some
: tiny holes a mm or so deep in the side. The rim should be
: O.K. as long as you can see the holes. They were still
: visible, but there was a slight grab at one spot while
: braking, and there the rim joint had become visible. I
: decided to replace the rim to be completely safe, and had
: certainly got my money's worth since it was about 9 years
: old. Out of curiosity I showed the rim to the LBS expert. He
: broke the rim into pieces, with a for me surprising result:
: Part of the rim wall was only about 0.75 or 0.8 mm thick, so
: well into the danger zone. Glad that I was cautious, even
: though transferring the spokes to a new rim and getting
: everything adjusted took more than 4 hours.
:
: Ned

: "transferring the spokes to a new rim and getting
: everything adjusted took more than 4 hours."

:including occasional meditation sessions and painting the room.

While I have no doubt that you, or anyone who builds wheels more often
than I do, could do it much faster, 4 hours is about what I'd expect
it to take me.

--
sig 44